Find out how dental crowns can preserve your natural teeth.
If our Old Bridge, NJ, family dentists have recommended getting dental crowns, then chances are good that your teeth are damaged in some ways. Crowns are recommended to reinforce a tooth to help it stay strong. As always, the goal is to preserve your own natural teeth whenever possible, and dental crowns can do just that. Here are the many ways in which dental crowns can improve and enhance smiles,
Repair and Strengthen Damaged Teeth
While teeth are incredibly strong, even they can be damaged by injuries or cavities. When a damaged tooth occurs it’s important that you turn to our Old Bridge, NJ, family dentists immediately for restorative dentistry. If you are dealing with an injury, infection or widespread decay, chances are good that you’ll benefit from a dental crown. A crown will be placed completely over the tooth to help restore the tooth back to full strength and function.
Replace a Large, Old Filling
Whether you have a large filling that has some years on it already or our dental team has detected a widespread cavity, there are instances where a crown is actually better suited to the tooth than a filling. After all, a particularly large filling can actually weaken the tooth over time, which is why it’s always a good idea to visit your dentist for routine checkups to know when fillings need to be replaced.
Improve the Shape and Color of a Tooth
While crowns are most often used to restore a tooth after infection, injury or decay, your dentist can also place a crown that will hide stains, improve the tooth’s color and also reshape the tooth.
Replace Missing Teeth
Crowns are one of the most versatile restorations our dental team has to offer. Along with a crown’s ability to restore weak or damaged teeth, and also improve the appearance of your smile, a crown can also be an important part of replacing a missing tooth. Whether you are getting a bridge or a dental implant to replace one or more teeth, a dental crown can be placed to either anchor the bridge permanently into place or to cover an implant.
Do you have questions about dental crowns? If so, our Old Bridge, NJ, family dentists would be happy to answer any questions you have. Call Personal Choice Dental at (732) 727-1211 to schedule an evaluation with us.
Dental implants are a great investment in your oral health. They're long-lasting, durable, and look just like natural teeth. The dental team at Personal Choice Dental in Old Bridge, New Jersey offers three reasons why restoring your smile with dental implants is an excellent decision.
1. They look great.
Unlike other replacements for missing teeth, restoring your smile with dental implants means that only you and your Old Bridge dentist will know that you have them. That's because all the hardware is hidden underneath your gum line, just like the roots of natural teeth. Installation of the implant's post is done during a brief procedure at Personal Choice Dental, where one of our dentists will make an indentation where your missing tooth once was. The post is then put into the space in the jawbone, which will grow back around the post and stabilize it. The only part of your implant that will be seen is the crown, which looks and feels as realistic as a natural tooth.
2. They're easy to care for.
It's no secret that dental implants restore the way your smile looks, but what you may not know is that the maintenance involved is very simple. There's no need for removal or special cleaning products. Brushing your teeth twice a day, flossing once a day, and visiting Personal Choice Dental in Old Bridge is all it takes to keep your dental implants secure. Although the metal and porcelain implant can't decay, it's still important to keep your gums and remaining natural teeth healthy.
3. They last a long time.
Taking care of your dental implants has a long-term benefit: they can last for the rest of your life. Studies have shown that the permanence of dental implants combined with diligent oral care makes dental implants the longest-lasting tooth restoration available today. Wearing a dental implant also puts you at less risk for further tooth loss; gaps in your smile cause your other teeth to shift out of place, which can cause more problems down the road.
By restoring your smile with dental implants from your Old Bridge dentist, you're investing in the future of your teeth for many years to come. Contact Personal Choice Dental in Old Bridge, New Jersey to schedule a consultation with a member of our dental team. Call us at (732) 727-1211 today.
Would you like to straighten your crooked teeth or improve your bite problem discreetly? Invisalign treatment, offered by your dentists at Personal Choice Dental in Old Bridge, NJ, can help you correct your orthodontic issues.
Invisalign subtly realigns your smile
Invisalign uses clear, removable aligner trays to gradually improve the alignment of your teeth. Your Old Bridge dentist creates a digital 3D model of your mouth which is used to design a series of aligner trays. Trays fit over your upper and lower teeth and exert constant, gentle pressure that slowly re-positions teeth.
If you're not sure which orthodontic treatment option is right for you, you'll want to take a look at a few unique Invisalign benefits:
- No Drastic Change to Your Appearance: Thanks to their clear design, your aligner trays practically disappear when you wear them.
- An Adjustment-Free Method: Unlike traditional braces, adjustments aren't needed with Invisalign. Each set in the series of trays you receive performs a specific straightening goal. Although you won't need adjustments, you will need to visit your dentist for follow-up visits to assess your progress.
- Easy Oral Hygiene: Your regular oral hygiene routine won't change with Invisalign. You'll remove your trays, then brush and floss as usual.
- No Food Restrictions: Are you concerned that you'll have to stop eating your favorite foods if you straighten your teeth? That's fortunately not the case with Invisalign. In fact, you can eat anything you want during your treatment due to how you can just take out the trays before you eat and drink. At the end of the meal, you'll simply rinse the trays and reinsert them.
- Convenience: Your trays can even be removed for a few hours if you have a sports practice or game or will be attending a special event. However, trays still need to be worn for about 22 hours per day.
- Shorter Treatment Periods for Adults: If you're an adult, you may only need to wear your aligner trays for months rather than years.
Are you ready to transform your smile with Invisalign? Call the dentists at Personal Choices in Old Bridge, NJ, at (732) 727-1211 to schedule your appointment.
Good dental habits begin at home. It’s important to teach your children how to take care of their teeth and gums so that they can avoid tooth decay and tooth loss. Dr. Anthony J. Vitale and his team at Personal Choice Dental, located in Old Bridge, NJ, are family dentists who can help you teach your children proper dental habits.
Healthy Oral Habits Start at Home
Follow these tips to help you teach your children a healthy oral hygiene routine:
- Brush Teeth Regularly: Encourage your children to brush their teeth twice each day by brushing with them. Show them how to brush properly holding their toothbrush at a slight angle to their teeth and gums. Make sure they brush the inside, outside, and chewing surfaces of their teeth.
- Flossing: Help children floss between their teeth to remove food particles and prevent plaque build-up. Your children should be able to floss by themselves by the age of 8 years. Teach your children how to hold the floss correctly. If it is difficult for them, you may find it easier to teach them how to use a water flosser.
- Use Mouthwash: Children over the age of six should use mouthwash under your supervision. Mouthwash improves the effects of brushing and flossing and it can also benefit children who haven’t quite mastered brushing properly yet.
- Make Visits to the Family Dentist: You should take your children to the dentist within six months of their first tooth appearing. After that, you should make regular visits to our Old Bridge office every six months.
As well as setting a good example for your children, you can also encourage proper dental habits by letting your children choose their own toothbrush, reading books/watching videos about oral care, and rewarding them for good habits.
If you live in or around Old Bridge and you’re looking for a family dentist, call Dr. Vitale at (732) 727-1211.
Gum disease, also known as periodontitis, is a serious infection that damages the soft tissue around your teeth. If you don't receive treatment, it can lead to loose teeth. It can also destroy the bone that surrounds your teeth. Don't ignore the signs of gum disease. Visit Personal Choice Dental in Old Bridge where Dr. Anthony Vitale, Dr. Jeffrey Band, and Dr. Elliot Nash can help you prevent and treat gum disease as well as other dental issues. Here are some gum disease symptoms that you should never ignore:
- Your gums bleed when you brush your teeth or after you brush your teeth
- Your teeth are receding. In other words, your teeth appear longer than they used to be.
- You have constant bad breath or a nasty taste in your mouth
- Your teeth are loose or they're shifting in your mouth
- Your upper and lower teeth don't fit together the way they used to
- Your partial dentures don't fit anymore
- Your teeth are sensitive to hot and cold beverages
Gum Disease Treatment
Once you are diagnosed with gum disease, your dentist will establish a treatment plan. The goal is to help your gums return to health so they can reattach to the teeth. Treatment varies according to each patient's unique situation. Our dentists will decide if you require nonsurgical or surgical treatment.
Nonsurgical treatment involves dental cleaning to remove the plaque and tartar that's attached to your teeth. The dentist may also treat you with scaling and root planing. During this nonsurgical procedure, the dentist uses tools to scrape away plaque and tartar away from your teeth and gums. The dentist will also use tools to smooth the rough spots on your teeth. Those rough spots provide a sanctuary for bacteria. Once they are smoothed away, your gums can reattach themselves to clean teeth.
Surgical treatments from our Old Bridge office include soft tissue grafts, bone grafts, bone surgery, and guided tissue regeneration. When the tissue surrounding the teeth is unhealthy, surgical treatments may be necessary.
Prevent or Treat Gum Disease
Gum disease is a serious dental issue that should be treated right away. If you think that you may have gum disease and you live in Old Bridge, visit us at Personal Choice Dental. Our dentists can develop a treatment plan to help you prevent gum disease. If you are already showing the signs of gum disease, they can also provide the treatment you need to get your teeth back to health. Call us today at (732) 727-1211.
This website includes materials that are protected by copyright, or other proprietary rights. Transmission or reproduction of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use, as defined in the copyright laws, requires the written permission of the copyright owners.